Sunday, April 8, 2007

Christos Anestis!

Christos Anestis! / "Christ Has Risen" - that's what the Greeks say at midnight on Easter.

The Answer is "Alithinos Anestis" / "He truly has risen" or as I like to translate it today "Godamn Straight!" "Fuckin A He's Risen!" Something like that. I'm sure you can come up with your own translation.

Anyway as a fallen away (ex?)member ("members" pay dues) of the Greek Orthodox faith, I was excited to go to Greek Easter luncheon at another fallen away member's home here in Maadi. It was fun, I met other Greeks, who for some insane reason, I totally relate to. I can't explain this. I always feel as if I'm wedged between two distinct psyches. I love being a Greek, but I also am very proud of being an American. There's no discord between the two of me.

Regardless of the fact that I grew up in the States, I had a mother that yanked me around, whispering and/or yelling at me in Greek - especially when we were out in public mostly shopping ("Look at that girl! Do you know who that is? She's with a bunch of.... Blah, blah, blah" - Greek Style.) I can understand Greek better than I can speak it, which is cool, especially when you want to evesdrop. But since my mom died 22 years ago, I really don't get the chance to speak Greek much anymore. Besides, there have been times that I have had to face the fact that I am 100% American; I can have my baklava/apple pie and eat it too. I come from two worlds, molded into one. The face of America, one that Lou Dobbs would most likely throw darts at, espcially if it were Spanish.

Anyway, it was a great day. The Shamal, or whatever they call it here, came in about 3PM; the afternoon, the food and the company were exceptional. I had a great time and got to practice some of my long forgotten Greek on a bunch of natives. The Ouzo just made everything go ever so smoother.

Christos Anestis!

And you can finish this off with any reply you want. Remember, I'm fallen away, so be yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment