Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Funkengroovin Wednesday



The video of the Grateful Dead performing Casey Jones on S.N.L. in 1978 is pretty great. As a matter of fact, I had just moved to Cleveland, Ohio to a new job, as a "Foster Care Worker" for the Cuyahoga County Welfare Department. I hated my job, but that summer and fall of 1978 are significant seasons in my life.

1) I got my truly first "respectable" job - "respectable" if you were a bleeding heart liberal; not on welfare; like to be treated like shit by your clients (welfare families and their kids), your foster families (leeches) and your supervisors (totally burnt out, and out of touch "administrators") .
2) I moved in with the Boss Man and we were living in sin. My car insurance company came around, investigated and cut me off for this very reason. It was, I must add, the first very time I actually bought car insurance. I don't think they're that choosy these days. Actually, I think it's now a "requirement".

I would like to add, that even though I had friends who were "high on cocaine," as in the song, I was not. I could never wrap my head around that shit. Okay, so I can't wrap my head around a lot of things, especially these days, but maybe that's okay - sometimes. I think the Boss Man and I saw this concert by the Grateful Dead together (on TV). Jerry and the band are awesome. So synchronized, so together (redundancy - I know), so f-ing amazing! So I dedicate this Funkingroovin Wednesday to all that and the fact that my dates with the Boss Man, when were first met, were transported in his 1968 White Beetle. I remember having to wipe the inside windows off of frost in the winter and steam in the summer when we.... (I just hope the kids have their eyes closed when they read this.)

Again, my hat's off to all the Cairo VW owners!

You guys really know how to confuse someone. The Boss Man says you can make any kind of Volkwagen as long as you have the "dog house." VW lovers will know what that means.




I know this isn't a VW, but this dog has made this car his home day and night. He seems to be groovin prettty well, I'd say.




Unfortunately this was a pretty dry week for Van / Bus sightings. I saw three yesterday, but the camera I'm working with is so slow that I would not have caught the photo even if I had the damned thing turned on. I miss my Nikon D70! Boo Hoo.

Here are the bugs I caught this week. Check out the enlargements, because some of these are a mishmash with hoods and or lights not matching the bodies.





Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.


This old engine makes it on time,
Leaves central station bout a quarter to nine,
Hits river junction at seventeen to,
At a quarter to ten you know its travlin again.

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.






Trouble ahead, lady in red,
Take my advice youd be better off dead.
Switchmans sleeping, train hundred and two is
On the wrong track and headed for you.














Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.



















Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
Got two good eyes but you still dont see.
Come round the bend, you know its the end,
The fireman screams and the engine just gleams...

No comments:

Post a Comment