Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Funkengroovin Wednesday

A few of the reasons I enjoy taking photos of VW's here in Cairo, is the fact that they're not all lined up in a parking lot at a rally or car show; they're used daily; maintained for use and not for show (obviously or I wouldn't see dents all over the place); and I find them wherever I go. Again, more bugs than buses.


This is a maroon bug parked on Road 9. I've seen it before, parked on the other side of the street, usually with some young, "very cool dude" laying on the hood wearing earphones, listening to music. I've tried to take photos of it previously, when he wasn't around, but was run off by a boab or parking attendant, or someone excessively protective. The man on the phone is the carpet salesman, whose pile of kilim carpets are hidden behind the bug.

















Green Bug, Road 9.


















White bug parked in front of Metro Grocery, off Road 9.



















Blue 1983 Van, in an empty lot near Carrefore, with a "For Sale" sign.




















And, of course, the weekly Cairo delivery service report:

Orange juice delivery:

















Green onions on a Chinese motorcycle with a sidecar. According to the Boss Man, "It looked very similar to a Urals (Russian) motorcycle that we used to see in Baku. Both of these bikes are based on a BMW design from the 1930s. They have engines (opposed cylinders with internal cams and pushrods to operate the valves) that are similar to aircooled volkswagens - again, all from the 1930s".



















24 days until I get my new camera and no more of this!



















Right now green onions are in season and all over the place. So I present, Booker T. & the M.G.'s
Green Onions

No comments:

Post a Comment